Thursday, December 3, 2009

Self Assessment

Carol Raterman
Language Controversies has been a very interesting class with all of the discussions we have had about different subjects we have read. This class has helped me realize my strengths and weaknesses I possess. I have always had trouble transitioning from one paragraph to the next in anything I write. Grammar has never been one of my strong points.
At the beginning of this semester, I had difficulties being able to write a thesis statement, opening paragraph, a conclusion paragraph, and my transitions. By the end of the semester, I feel that I have become a stronger writer by orgaizing my thoughts, introducing new ideas and transitioning my thoughts.
I feel as though I have improved in argumentation because I have had so many opportunities to defend my point. Defending your point is only one part of the argumentation. The second part of argumentation includes thinking how the other side would possibly make their case and be prepared for whatever they will say to you. Arguing a point involves preparing your own case, thinking about what the other side would mention, and then present the argument. Before this class, I did not think about preparing the other side’s argument. This class has helped me learn different ways people think and different ways people act.
As we read more articles as it got later in the semester, I feel as though my critical thinking skills improved. Before this class I would just read the article, it seemed like I was just looking at the words, and it would take me two times before I knew I would comprehend what I was reading. Now I feel like it is easier to read and comprehend articles.
I feel very comfortable with adding to the class discussions. When I am more interested in the subject or if I am avid about a topic, I contribute more to the conversation. At the beginning of the semester, I felt like I was not very strong in the subject of English. Now I think English is one of my favorite subjects. I have found where my strong points and my weaknesses are in the subject of English.

No comments:

Post a Comment