Thursday, December 3, 2009

Mary Elizabeth Lowe
English 1101
Dr. Hughes
November 23, 2009


Over the past semester I have enjoyed this class a great deal and I believe that I have learned quite a bit about grammar, debate and a variety of language issues. Prior to this course my argumentation was rather weak and far from concise. Also, I have learned the importance of acknowledging all aspects of an argument, even those with which I do not necessarily agree. While learning and writing about the other side of an issue, my own preconceived ideas are on occasion weakened, but usually, my initial beliefs are strengthened. Similarly, while arguing a point, my audience will be more likely to accept and respect my point of view if I take an educated, bold stand and point out the competing viewpoints which are often times very valid. This ensures the readers that I am not simply ignorant to other’s beliefs, but I recognize them, in spite of my disagreement.
Another key component of persuasive writing is enforcing my own ideas with the opinions and research of esteemed experts in a particular subject matter. Adding quotes and statistics signifies to the reader that I am not simply tossing out random ideas on a whim, but that my work is creditable. Furthermore, as the semester has progressed my knowledge of proper quotation and citation usage has greatly improved.
I am not a “big fan” of class discussions, I am more of a small group type of person; however, if I am required to publicly voice my opinion I have no objection doing so as this class has prompted. Overall, the topics of this class have been interesting, especially the unit on sign language and bilingual ballots. My knowledge of these issues has broadened and I have been allowed to research a great deal which I thoroughly enjoy. My own beliefs have stayed relatively constant, but I have appreciated and benefited from hearing other people’s opinions throughout the semester and I look forward to other challenging English classes in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment