Thursday, August 20, 2009

Interesting Background!

Carmen Solis
Engl 1101
Mrs. Hughes
Week 1

Español

Throughout our lives, we hear different styles of communication. The different dialogues that we hear around us have a huge impact on the way we talk. We all speak differently; we might talk with a dialect, jargon, or have an accent. But no matter how we talk, we are expressing the same purpose in our dialogue, but with different kinds of words.
I come from a Hispanic family and I am really proud to speak Spanish because not so many people have the privilege to learn a second language pretty well. I am bilingual, I speak Spanish and English. Coming from a family that only speaks Spanish, it is pretty hard to become accustomed to another language. Like everyone else who’s English is their second language, it is really hard to get use to another language and to hear it and not understanding what other people are talking about. When I got here to the United State, I was twelve years old; I did not know any words at all. I only knew some words that I heard in the streets. People would talk to me and I would say “soly, no English” and then I would smile. I know that sounds funny but that was the only communication I had with other people. It is hard to learn new rules that you have never heard of in your life.
For a while, I felt disconnected with everyone even the Spanish speakers. I felt this way because I used to talk with a dialect and jargons and no one understood when I spoke to them. School helped me a lot in learning and developing a new vocabulary. It extended my diction knowledge. Now that I know English, it kind of makes me feel connected to this culture. I feel like I can collaborate and start a new life in this country.
My family speaks Spanish but my parents know another language which is called Quechua—this is an Andes’ ancient language. They only speak in Quechua when they do not want us to hear or understand what they are talking about. I do not know how to speak or understand it. Even when they talk, it amazes me how they talk and how they pronounce the words. I realize that no matter in what language we are talking, we are all one and is really wonderful the capability that we have to learn another language. Also, my parents and I speak in jargons. For example, instead of saying child, which in Mexico they say “esquincle,” I say “Chibolito.” Some people had told me that I sound funny and sweet saying those kinds of words.

I am very proud that I am Hispanic or Latina! That makes me different and unique in a way. Even though I learned English, I would never forget who I am and where I come from. I have seen some people denying their Hispanic heritage because they think that non-Hispanic are going to segregate them. But not me, I can scream and say that I am 100% Latina! Knowing another language is something valuable. Not so many people are bilingual and even though it’s hard at first, at the end it has a reward. I like it when people come up to me for help or for curiosity asking me how do I say some words in Spanish. I feel that it I am valuable and it feels nice that people don’t take you for granted. I know I have an accent and people have told me that. I don’t feel ashamed or embarrassed; instead, I feel that I have accomplished something that I would have never thought I would have. I never thought I could learn English, but I did it and I am very proud of it. I know that I am still going to expand my diction and vocabulary knowledge and here at Young Harris it’s going to be a whole new experience with my linguistic language.

No comments:

Post a Comment