Thursday, August 20, 2009

Blog number one Tyler Benson

Tyler BensonEngl 1101Mrs. HughesBlog 1


Over the course of my life I have only been exposed to one language, and looking back on it I wish I had been exposed to at least one other. It is important to be in touch with your native culture, but it can be helpful to have a second language. As I speak only English, I was previously exposed to the language of Spanish which I was well taught in. As the years passed, however, I slowly lost most of the Spanish I knew as I did not study and rehearse it like I should have. Due to this I barely know any to this day and it is a real shame that it was a language lost.
I will say that language is a gift to have and those who are able to speak two languages will have more opportunities in many ways than others. Fortunately, I will take Spanish at Young Harris in the future so I may be able to get in touch with the language once again. Other than that I speak only English and I am very proud of it. It is important to respect and take pride in your original language because it is your culture. As we discussed in our previous class, if we did not have language we would not be able to come together as a people. So other than respecting your culture our language is important in means of survival as a group.
Hopefully I will be able to learn much more about the importance of language in our future classes. My history may not be rich with language only knowing one kind and having forgotten a second, but I hope my future will hold new adventures in the direction of language.

Tyler Benson

No comments:

Post a Comment