Friday, October 16, 2009

The frosting in a cake!

We have been talking all this week long about the southern dialect. I have live in Georgia for six years and I do not see any difference in the dialect. I have not travel to the north side of the U.S. so maybe that is why I cannot recognize the differences in dialects. But been in those websites, have give me some information about the dialect. I, certainly, know that the southerners are “recognize” for been dumb and stupid only because of the way they speak. I used to see that in cartoons. I found that judging someone by their dialect is unreasonable and irrational with no explanation to why they think that. It is only a dialect. That is it. Having a dialect does not make someone less of a person. “A Glossary of Quaint Southernisms,” http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/southernese.html, somehow makes fun of the south dialect but also explains the definitions in a much sophisticated way by saying that while one read and “laugh at these entries, the important thing to remember as you laugh at these entries is that they represent perfectly good English.” In this website, the writer is writing words and sort of making fun on how they write and pronounce it. But, he writes the definitions in a Standard American English. I find that the Ron Collins’ Southern Dialect converter, http://vaiden.net/convert.html, states that the south is monolith because it only uses words and explain them in a broad way. It did not state where each word came from, it just let us know, the reader, that those words are used thoroughly I the South area. On the other hand, I identify that the Southern American English, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_American_English, believe that the South has many different dialects within. This websites states that “there is no single Southern accent.” There are the Atlantic, Midland and Highland, Gulf of Mexico, and African-influenced, and much more other dialects. “There is a great deal of diversity in the south” and still people all around the United States think there is only one South Dialect (Rosina Lippi-Green 209). I find a dialect to be charming in its own way, and it gives a twist to the way how someone speaks. A dialect gives its own uniqueness to a language.

1 comment: