Friday, August 21, 2009

Southern Accent

Steven Holland
Engl 1101
Dr. Hughes
Blog 1

Having grown up in Georgia for my entire life, I grew up speaking English with a somewhat Southern accent. It may not be as pronounced as other Southerners' accents, but it's there. Almost my entire family also grew up in the South, so therefore they also inherited the Southern accent. My dad's side of the family seem to have originated from the South(but not really) because they've lived in the South for so long. It seems like that whole side of the family has a Southern accent. However, my mom is from the North. She is always correcting the rest of us when we say something wrong or mispronounce a word. She sometimes has to come to me or my brother for a "translation" of what my dad is trying to say because he often mispronounces or misuses words. The funny part is that we have actually somewhat converted her to the South.
English is really the only language I know. Even though I took French in middle and high school, most of it has one way or another worked its way out of my brain. In high school, I had a lot of friends who spoke Spanish. Since I didn't speak Spanish, I often had no clue what they were saying to eachother half the time. I would always ask one of them what the others were saying and then jokingly say, "you've got to teach me Spanish some day."

No comments:

Post a Comment